Home ] dna project ] the erainn ] the milesians ] [ origins ] 1538-1615 ] Revenue 1609 ] battle of kinsale ] King James Irish Army List ] battle of castlehaven ] sack of baltimore ] the Copingers ] My Driscoll Ancestors ] baltimore ] cape clear ] sherkin ] skibereen ] chieftains ] clan gathering ] clan gathering 02 ] clan gathering 03 ] clan gathering 04 ] clan gathering 05 ] clan gathering 06 ] clan gathering 07 ] clan gathering 08 ] clan gathering 09 ] clan gathering 2010 ] clan gathering 2011 ] clan gathering 2012 ] clan gathering 2013 ] castle of gold ] fiddle fair ] castles ] Fineen The Rover ] social revolts ] irish convicts ] South Wales Echo ] peerless jim driscoll ] ronnie carthy ] old guest book ] links ]




                                                                                     ship of fools baltimore                                          


The surname comes from the Irish Ó hEidirsceoil, grandson of Eidirsceol (from eidirsceol, meaning "go-between" or "bearer of news"). The original Eidirsceol from whom descent is claimed is reputed to have lived in the mid tenth century. Personal names associated with the family in its early years were Finn and Con or Mac Con, later anglicized as Florence and Cornelius The name is one of the very few to be clearly identified with the Érainn, or Fir Bolg, Celts who were settled in Ireland well before the arrival of the Gaels. Although the evidence is sparse, before the eighth century A.D. what is now Co. Cork appears to have been populated mainly by tribes of Érainn descent, including the Corca Laoighde tribal grouping of whom the Uí hEidirsceoil were the chief family. The encroachment southwards of the Gaelic Eoghanacht of Cashel from the eighth century on resulted in the assimilation or displacement of all of the original Érainn tribes. In the case of the Corca Laoighde, this displacement was towards the south-west of the county, into an area which later became part of the diocese of Ross, roughly defined by the modern towns of Roscarbery, Skibbereen, Schull and Baltimore. Baltimore was the seat of O’Driscolls, and gets its name ("Baile an Tighe Mór") from their castle or great house. From the twelfth century, the Annals describe the O’Driscolls as kings of the Corca Laoighde. A further indication of their power comes in their inclusion in the Gaelic genealogies; although they were not ethnic Gaels, a lineage was produced for the family to connect them to Lughaidh Laidhe, a supposed descendant of Milesius, the progenitor of the Gaels. Such was respectability in medieval Ireland. Given the nature of the land they occupied, with its wild twisting coastline, and their constant fight against the encroaching pressures of the Eoghanancht, the Anglo-Normans and the English, it is not surprising that the O’Driscolls became expert seafarers with a reputation for ferocity. From the thirteenth to the fifteenth centuries they struck an alliance with the Powers of Co. Waterford in their long feud with the burgesses and merchants of Waterford city, and many of their leaders were killed in battle on land and sea. One of the best known incidents occurred in 1413, when the Mayor of Waterford, Simon Wicken, arrived in Baltimore on Christmas Day and was invited to join in the Christmas festivities. He did, and enjoyed the company so much that he took O’Driscoll and his family back to Waterford, as prisoners. From the fifteenth century on, the family struggled to retain their lands and power against the English. By 1610, Baltimore had become an English port and there is some evidence that the family may have had a hand in the notorious pillage of the town by Algerian  pirates in 1631; a year earlier there had been reports of one Cornelius O’Driscoll "an Irish pirate with his rendezvous in Barbary". Despite the struggle, the O’Driscolls, like so many others of the old order, were ultimately completely dispossessed, though the family and the name remain inextricably linked to their old homeland. Some indication of the strength of awareness of the past can be found in the history of the surname itself: in 1890, over 90% of those bearing the name recorded themselves as "Driscoll" while today, in a remarkable reversal of the nineteenth-century trend, virtually all are called "O'Driscoll". Their arms reflect the family's traditional prowess as seafarers, developed during their long lordship of the sea-coast around Baltimore. north cregg Baltimore Square